Customer Satisfaction After Successful Mold Remediation
A couple weeks ago, SERVPRO of Greenwich was contacted by a homeowner who suspected that they had mold in their house. After a mold test confirmed their suspicions, we sent technicians to remediate the damage.
We found mold throughout the customer’s basement. Spores had grown inside the walls and behind some of the appliances. We removed any visible mold, and then sprayed antibacterial solution to ensure that no mold would grow back in the affected area. After the job was done, the customer took some time to write us to let us know how we did:
“Hi Emilio-- Writing to let you know that there were NO mold spores detected in the most recent air sample test in the basement... THANK YOU for a job well done!!”
- Debbie M.
We have the skilled technicians and specialized equipment needed for your residential fire damage remediation needs. That’s why SERVPRO of Greenwich should be your first call. Contact us at 203.324.1642 for assistance.